The Church of St. Mary & All Saints, Nassington.
Chronological Notes:

There has been a church on this site for over a thousand years.  Evidence of the Saxon church may be seen in the 'long and short' cornerstones at the west end of the south aisle, the west wall of the nave and the rubble tower. In the early 12th century Nassington was chosen as a base for a Prebendary of the Diocese of Lincoln who would exercise the church's authority over the surrounding villages.  This would have brought status and wealth to Nassington.

Later in the 12th century the tower was encased in stone and a new arch was formed, linking the nave and tower.  A west window was added.

In the 13th century the north aisle was built, using a puzzling mixture of styles in the windows.  Then work began on constructing the south aisle and porch.  A fine west doorway replaced the earlier window.  Chambers were added to the north and south sides of the tower.

At the turn of the 14th century the south aisle had to be rebuilt after a fire and was widened at the same time.  The chancel arch and the north and south nave arches were also rebuilt.

During the 15th century several prebendaries came to Nassington, leaving their influence on the building.  The belfry stage was added to the tower, leading to the battlemented parapet and the octagonal spire.  The clerestory was built above the nave, allowing more light to enter and thus giving the church a feeling of spaciousness quite beyond its actual area.  A rood screen was also installed, dividing the nave from the chancel.

In the later 15th century the chancel was rebuilt off-centre from the nave.

Between 1547 and 1553 Edward VI's commissioners destroyed the rood screen together with the crucifix and adjacent figures of the Virgin Mary and St. John.

In 1640 the spire was rebuilt and very shortly afterwards Cromwell permitted the destruction of stained glass and the whitewashing of church walls.  The only stained glass which survived is in the quatrefoil lights of the south aisle.

Between 1883 and 1885 a major restoration of the church was undertaken under the Rev. D. W. Barrett.

The spire was struck by lightning on 14th May 1905, necessitating major repairs.

In 1989 the nave roof was found to be in urgent need of renovation which was undertaken in the winter of 1989/90.

Other Points of Interest

Saxon Cross Shaft

The stone cross would originally have been outside the church and is now preserved in the north aisle.

It probably dates from the 10th century and is carved on all four sides.  The lower front  section bears a representation of the crucifixion, with the sun and moon above the arms of the cross.

Most of the upper section is missing.

 
Saxon Cross Shaft
 Wall Paintings
Several 14th & 15th century wall paintings may be seen in the northern part of the church - on the wall of the aisle, in several of the window splays and between the second and third arches of the arcade.

A wall painting of the Doom or the Final Resurrection is to be found above the chancel arch. 

In the north wall, between the second and third windows from the east, is a representation of St. Michael holding
a balance in which to weigh people's deeds.  If sins outweighed good deeds, the soul would be sent to Hell.

The Devil and the Virgin Mary appear on either side

 
The Doom or the final 
Clock

The clock is marked I. W. 1695 and it is thought that Iohannes Watt, a clockmaker in Stamford,
made and installed it.  It was in use in the church tower for 200 years.  In 1982 it was removed and restored and is now in working order.  It is on view in the north aisle

Bells

The church has a peal of five bells.  The oldest bell (number 4) dates from 1642 and the youngest(the treble) from 1874.  The bell-ringers meet regularly and welcome visiting ringers.

 
Church Spire struck by lightning on 14 May 1905.

Church and old Vicarage (Pre 1880).